Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The sweet smell of a good learning environment

If you go on the UNC campus at midnight, and you listen very closely, you may just be able the quiet sound of students laughing. No, no, this isn't because students are staying up late. As we all know, college students are usually in bed by 9:30.  No this laughter is simply from the students earlier in the day, enjoying classes with the best professors in the world. While you may think this is a pretty subjective view (and it is), I do have my reasoning.
You see, what makes teachers great isn't the kind of information they present. If it was then we might as well be taught by an army of robots (which might be awesome).  However, I often find that teachers are good at teaching because they show that they actually CARE about students. They relate to students; they know student's names; they encourage participation and aren't hard to talk to after class.
Many teachers at universities often give up on trying to get to know their students because there are just too many of them; but, here at UNC, the average undergraduate class size is 29 students. That's smaller than many of my classes in high school.  That's great for me because I get to joke around with my professors and get more out of class than if I were in a larger classroom.

Later days,
Brink

No comments:

Post a Comment